Thursday, September 26, 2024

Fore! The Wisdom of Forewarned is Forearmed

Like Gretchen Rubin—co-host of the podcast Happier— I too love "proverbs, aphorisms, Zen koans, paradoxes, fables." She says,"I love reading any single line where a big idea is succinctly expressed, or any kind of teaching story." Such pithy prose serves as helpful hints for remembering the truth. We shouldn't need the reminder, but we do. Good, bad or otherwise, I found that in a proverb I quote on a regular basis. It speaks to what each of us should consider in both sports and in spirituality: Forewarned is forearmed.

Golfers are expected to yell Fore! upon hitting a ball that could potentially hit another person. It need not be wide right or sliced super hard to be in the path of an unsuspecting party. Yelling fore! is a warning for other people to watch out.

Upon hearing this four letter word, a person should duck, cover their head and turn away from the direction from whence the sound hath come.To be safe, be sure to wait until you have a sense of where the ball lands before standing up, walking away or moving on. Failure to do increases the risk of injury. Unfortunately, I now have first hand knowledge of how and why this is important.

On Saturday afternoon, I was playing with a friend and an errant shot off the tee hit me on my right thigh. From the tee box, the golfer yelled fore. I ducked and waited but got back up. I hadn't realized that much time would pass between impact from the driver to where it landed— about 200 yards from where it was hit. I never heard the ball hit the ground and that is for the simple fact it hadn't....until it hit me. And I went down. I now have a deep red mark where it landed on my leg and purple bruising all around it. My friend Haley, a D1 field hockey goalie is no stranger to bruises. She told me to name my bruise. I'm not there yet. Instead, I can only speak to what I have said and long believed; Forewarned is forearmed.

Advance warning provides an advantage. If you don't believe me, perhaps history can offer some insight. Even the Roman embraced this maxim. The Latin saying ‘praemonitus, praemunitus’ loosely translates as ‘forewarned is forearmed’. 

I was told what was coming my way. I would say about 50% of the time, I duck, cover and hold (in the other direction). At other times, I simply cover. In this case I just ducked. It certainly could have been worse. I am so lucky I didn't get hit in the head. But given what I know now, I will need the warning and and take hold. And, 
I can't help but appreciate the irony in the fact that this proverb begins with the very four letters of the word that serve as advance warning and defense. 

This event has served as an invitation to consider how this message might apply to our spiritual lives as well. 

Over time, we acquire self knowledge and ideally a deeper understanding of who we are and who we want to be. Through life experiences, reflection, relationships and reconciliation we realize our shortcomings, limitations and liabilities. We know who and what pushes our buttons. We appreciate what helps us stay morally strong and aware of what might set us astray.

In the Our Father, we pray "Lead us not into temptation." Well, a little forewarning may be help us succeed. If you know you are entering into a situation where you may give in to temptation, stay away. If you sense that something might not be good for you, turn around. Knowledge is power; use it to act—not react. 

I love Huey Lewis and the News' 4th album.
I do wonder if they had been hit by a golf ball, would they have used this title....

The Hebrew word for sin, ḥet, literally means "missing the mark" or "going astray". This is similar to an arrow missing its target. Sounds like a reason someone might yell fore!  Furthermore, s
in hurts other people. While we might not see the bruise, sinful actions cause pain and can fracture a relationship. So what can we do? What should we do?

The man who hit the golf ball at me came over to apologize. I didn't even want to look him in the eye. He was sorry. He felt badly about the incident. He asked me if I was okay. While I wish he had said fore again, when the ball got closer (and given me $100 bill...kidding...sort of ), he saw that I was still able to walk and that I wanted my space. He respected that. 

Forewarned is forearmed is a tool for your spiritual toolbox and works in sports, too. While we can never predict the outcome of any given interaction, contest or game, we can use what we know and have learned to keep ourselves and one another as whole and healthy as possible.

Photo Credits
Huey Lewis
Adage
Tiger

No comments:

Post a Comment