Tuesday, October 1, 2024

The Juice Box: Featuring Fred Warner

A colleague recently told me about a new podcast. I like it so much I almost feel like I have a new friend. I want the people I care about to "meet" my new show. So for you, Sports and Spirituality readers, I'm excited to make the introduction. Meet Pod Quad

Hosted by two Holy Cross priests, Fathers Pete McCormick, C.S.C. and Nate Wills, C.S.C. are real friends "having curiosity conversations with interesting people. Talking about life.” The title is a nod to where that happens at a place like Notre Dame: on the Quad. I want the creators and any new listeners to know, although I am over 2000 miles from campus and live amidst the urban sprawl of San Francisco, their message resonates with me. In other words, the quad is not required. Furthermore, I'm so invested in their show, I have  found myself answering the final question for myself. I would like the hosts to know I get a whole lot of juice from Sports and Spirituality.. And juice this week has come from the Niners win over the New England Patriots on Sunday, September 29. I'll give the squeeze in a bit. 

The format works. Although Pod Quad is but a few episodes in, it is a delight to listen to and learn from their guests. They conclude each interview with the question “What's one piece of wisdom that you've received that you think would be awesome just to share with Pod Quad Nation?” While those nuggets are always meaningful, what leaves me hanging is their final question. 


Father Nate says,

And so now this segment, we close out the Pod Quad here with a little segment we like to call the Juice Box, which is where we talk about what gave us juice from that conversation.

Pete, how would you define juice?

Man, juice is, you can look this up in the dictionary. Juice ultimately is a vigor for life, a passion, a new insight, perspective that just gets amped up. And so what we're doing is honoring that in this way with some very tasty apple juice.

But at the same time, to be able to remind us all, like, yo, what are the things in your conversations, in your lives that are ultimately bringing you juice and how can you bring that into your world more broadly?”

I've never been partial to juice.I don't start my day with an OJ in hand. I don't own a juicer. A day without coffee is criminal, but a day without juice? No problem...and yet, I love this metaphor. This question gets me fired up—What gives you juice? 

Juice has flavor—lots of it! Juice makes things sweeter. The Juice Box has given me a way to understand and appreciate events, ideas, insights and sharing that fits their description.

Sitting in the Boston airport, I relished watching the Niners in enemy territory. In what appeared to be a beautiful day at Levi's Stadium, I couldn't help but cheer when I saw that once again Niners linebacker Fred Warner was the main squeeze. He was outstanding in Game two against the Vikings (some fans said he was the only Niner who played well that day) and his pick-six in the second quarter of this game made me wonder: Do I need to get a jersey with #54 on it?! But what made this play so memorable was not only his feat, but the reaction from the fans. Kendall Baker of Yahoo Sports, featured Warner's interception for a TD in his Baker's Dozen as one of the "Top Plays of the Weekend." Watch his clip here.


I love his defensive genius. I love Warner's vision, speed and his heart. But I also love what the camera reveals: the viewer gets confirmation of the TD and then a panorama of the response from fans in the stands. In this sea of gold are two men in their turbans next to others in a baseball caps. Women, men and even children are standing and clapping. Football is flawed, but it's also one of the greatest games. It's emotional, it's heart, it's thrilling.  There's just so much juice to squeeze. Even thinking about it now gets the juices flowing.

So give to others what Father Pete and Father Nick have given us—a place and a space for a curiosity conversation. Talk to someone you admire or respect. Ask them for their best piece of advice. Reflect upon what you have learn. You might walk away with a juice box in hand. 

Photo Credits
Fist bump
Pod Quad convo
Icon
Pick-Six

No comments:

Post a Comment