Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Beyond Jamba Juice: A Spiritual Boost

Was it the late '90s or the early 2000s? The era when Jamba Juice was it. I got gift cards for this smoothie shop from students and parents, in gratitude for coaching, you name it. Rather than running on caffeine, I was alive and kicking with Vitamin A, B and C. 

But a few weeks ago, I went to Jamba for the first time in 10 years plus. Upon making my choice, the sales associate asked me, "Do you want a boost?" For some reason, this question amused me. What a good marketing ploy, I thought. I can pay a little more for a few added nutrients, vitamins and minerals aka a "Boost." Why not, right?

I started to play with the idea of a boost. Jamba's selling and I'm buying. But I began to wonder: What other things in my life give me a boost? A boost of energy. A boost of joy. A spiritual boost. I need one. We all do.

This question became a journal prompt in Sports and Spirituality. What is a spiritual boost for you? What, if anything, gives your spiritual life a boost? It was easy to ask because I have found so many answers in both domains. Here are but a few.

Spirituality: 

  • Every morning I take my cup of fresh, hot coffee to my desk. I open my laptop computer and read the Daily Reflection from Dynamic Catholic. The image and message serve as a spiritual start to my day. The words resonate with me and my heart. I read this briefest of reflections and feel grateful or challenged. #StarterBoost


  • Today with Moreau: After my #StarterBoost, I read the news. I then move to my work email where I find a daily message with words from the founder of the Congregation of Holy Cross. Father Basil Moreau, CSC lived in 19th century France. His words are timeless, poignant and provide perspective. In many ways we have changed. In other ways, humanity has not.

    Here are but three examples:

    • Those who neglect study will never acquire the kind of amount of  knowledge necessary for the proper fulfillment of their duties. (Letters)
    • All those who have been entrusted with the admirable task of education should unite in a spirit of zeal and devotedness.  (Letters)
    • While we prepare useful citizens for society, we shall likewise do our utmost to prepare citizens for eternal life.  (Letters)

Sports:

  • My team played golf at CordeValle on one of the hottest afternoons this Fall. We all found comfort and beauty in the shade of the Oak tree. Looking at the majesty of God's creation...it's just so California! My favorite tree can't help but give me a spiritual boost.
  • Do you like the San Diego Padres new retro unis? The yellow and brown? It's bold! It's bad. But, it is comprised of something that gives me a spiritual boost: color. I hate to admit it, but Dodger blue—it's bad, too. Only this bad is good. 

  • Although I am posting this last, the CBS Sunday Morning Series "Football Field of Dreams" is the primary example that emerges as a spiritual boost. A friend shared this video clip with me and I was so inspired, I shared it with my golf team. We often complain about the burrowing animals and holes at Shoreline golf course. Our challenges pale in comparison to this team's. 
    • The tiny town of Branson, Colorado, was proud of its football team, but what many found offensive was their football field, dubbed the worst in America. So, the players and students threw a "Hail Mary" pass to raise funds for a field without gopher holes and grass as sharp as cactus. Correspondent Steve Hartman reports on how Branson's Bearcats found themselves back in the game.

Check it out! You'll certainly get a spiritual shot in the arm.


We live in a time when many people are talking about a boost of a the COVID-19 vaccine. Who will get one? When? As I hope and pray for more people to get their first, second or booster shot, I invite all of us to think of the spiritual boosts we give and that we get. Side effects? Stronger spirits, gratitude and appreciation. Sounds like soul food to me!

Photo Credits
Football Field of Dreams
Jamba J
Padres Brown is Back
Prayer as Relationship

No comments:

Post a Comment