Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Marcus Freeman: Heart of Gold

A highlight of Spring Break 2022 was the opportunity to participate in this year's Alumni Association Leadership Conference, with approximately 150 leaders from the US and beyond, on campus at Notre Dame. It was an exciting three day gathering of networking, sharing, and celebrating—focused on listening and learning about leadership and its importance. With full knowledge of the audience, the Alumni Association made sure enthusiastic alumni and friends were able to meet with a new, dynamic and principled leader: Coach Marcus Freeman.

In her session "Leading Ourselves in a Changing World...Bringing Our Whole Selves to Our Work," one of the keynote speakers, Dr. Angela Logan identified what it means to be a Tender-Strong-True leader (those are words to describe Notre Dame, Our Mother). She believes one characteristic of a "Strong" leader is that they: Have deeply-rooted moral and spiritual values and convictions that are the fruit of deep reflection. Her teaching invited me to consider where leaders acquire those moral and spiritual values. 

As a teacher in a Catholic school, I want my students name Saint Francis High School as one answer. As a member of a parish, I hope my fellow parishioners would name St. Vincent de Paul as another. Where else? And what if you are unaffiliated with a faith tradition or community? Where and how do you form those values and convictions. 

My friend Father Paul, a Holy Cross priest said relationships are a valuable place for young people and all leaders to develop and deepen their values. I know he is right; I have experienced this in my own life. My family, mentors, friends, classmates and teammates have had a deep and lasting impact on who I am and what I believe. Their example, their own convictions, choices and sacrifices continue to influence my reflection and in turn, what I value. And this realization is yet another example of why I am excited and encouraged by the naming of Marcus Freeman as the 30th head coach for the Fightin' Irish of Notre Dame.

In the days, weeks and months to come, there is no shortage of what you can learn and read about Coach Freeman. I would like for this post to offer but two insights on his value as a Strong leader who has deeply rooted moral and spiritual values.

The power of personal example
Marcus and Joanna Freeman are the parents of six children: four boys and two girls. As you might suspect, people want to know how me manages coaching, being a husband and father of young kids. 

Freeman said "I usually have one to four of my kids with me at a time. They will come to practice and they love to run around, play together, or watch the players. Whether we have a meal or share 20 minutes during that time, it's something. I want my players to see the example of their coach as a father and a husband. So many of them did not have that example in their own lives. I think this is important."

Teachers are reminded time and again that our students are watching us. We need to remember that our example speaks volume. Coach Freeman lives this message in 3-D!

Bringing Spirituality back to Sport
Marcus Freeman, who played linebacker at Ohio State University was recruited by the Irish and made an official visit in the Fall of 2002. He said, "I went to Mass at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart and joined the team as they walked to Notre Dame Stadium before the game. That ritual made such an impression on me."

During the Kelly era, the team went to Mass on Friday walked from the Gug (Guglielmino Athletics Complex) to the stadium on game day.

He added, "I told Ron Powlus how much I loved that tradition.He turned to me, smiled and said 'well, there's only one person who can make that change'."

Freeman was happy to report "so we will return to the Basilica on Saturdays. I want to do that because two hours before the game, you are so vulnerable. It's important to open your heart. Sitting in Church allows us to see the bigger picture and listen to God's word. Here at Notre Dame we embrace our faith."

I was able to see for myself that Coach Freeman practiced what he preached as I watched the football team exit the Basilica on Saturday morning before the Blue and Gold game.

Notre Dame Women Connect Board, Spring 2022
Tender, Strong and True
In Marcus Freeman, I see a leader who is tender, strong and true. I am excited about the relationships he is building in the Notre Dame family and to strengthen the Notre Dame family. I appreciate that he is a man of strong moral and spiritual values and convictions. In his speech to alumni, it became clear to me that decisions he has made are the fruit of reflection, rooted in his values. 

The final presentation of the conference, How Do You Achieve Impact as a Leader? was given by Father Dan Groody, C.S.C. He admitted that early in his life, he desire was to become a great downhill skier, and not a priest. As he got older he wanted to study under the Golden Dome. Once he got to Notre Dame, he found that he began searching for a golden heart. He said "Neil Young got it write when he sang about searching for a Heart of Gold." Well, Irish, I think we have found one in Coach Marcus Freeman. I could be wrong, but all signs are pointing true north.

Photo Credits
Freeman Family
Coach and Players

No comments:

Post a Comment