Friday, May 6, 2022

Mother Angelica and Pau Gasol Walk Into a Bar....Those Who Love Us Tell The Truth

Mother's Day prompts a tornado of tender tributes to the women we call "Mom." It is touching to read the life lessons credited to the women who undertake the most important job in the world. For example, my mom has taught me a truth about truth. She always says, “The truth shouldn’t hurt.” She’s right, it shouldn’t. However, quite often the truth does hurt. And yet, if it’s true, it’s true. Mom!!!

During my virtual spring cleaning, I rediscovered a tribute to a spiritual mother, Mother Angelica. This joyful, humorous, and loving Franciscan Sister, died on Easter Sunday, 2016. It is fitting that this holy woman who built EWTN, a world-wide Catholic cable television network, in 1981 was able to rejoice with the Lord and all the saints and angels in heaven on this great Feast Day. 

Her legacy lives on. Perhaps you remember Mother for her unique voice—it called us to trust in the Lord. Maybe you abide by her “everyday spirituality,” one born of a practical faith, that reminded us when we put our gifts at the service of the Lord we can do amazing things. Her wit and wisdom are the stuff of many popular quotations. One popular quote resonates with the words of my mom. 

She said, "those who tell the Truth love you. Those who tell you what you want to hear love themselves."
Yes, the truth can be hard to hear. It’s hard to admit our failings. Life is difficult; each one of us is fallen and lives in need of God’s grace. Sometimes it’s easier to live the lie, or worse, let those we love live it.

When someone has the courage to share the truth, it’s tempting to become defensive.We might write them off, shouldering resentment and blame for their words or insight. However, their act ought to be viewed as one of love.

We need the truth in the same way that we need God. Gandhi said, “God is truth and truth is God.” Those who speak it share God’s word. What a powerful message! There is much food for thought.

Truth about truth is what I found in yet another article from that pile. In "Swan Song: Pau Gasol says goodbye to retiring Kobe Bryant," the two time NBA Champion wrote 
We didn’t hang out that much off the court, but toward the end we had several meals one-on-one, and we would reminisce. When I was deciding whether to leave the Lakers in 2014, he came to my house in Redondo Beach. He said he wanted me to stay in L.A. and battle with him and finish our careers together. Those were his words. I told him I was in a place where I needed a change in my heart. I needed a change of air. It was one of the toughest things I’ve ever done, telling him, “I’m deciding not to play with you anymore.” 
I signed with the Bulls because I wanted to put myself in position to win another title. I haven’t been able to do that. I miss him a lot. I miss his presence. I miss that attitude. Not many players have it.  
The White Swan, the Black Swan, all of that, it didn’t upset me. It didn’t frustrate me. It showed he cared about me. It was tough love. He was challenging me because he expected more from me. When somebody cares about you, that’s when they challenge you. When they don’t care about you, they ignore you. That’s when you should worry.
What I take from this tribute is that Gasol and Bryant were much more than just teammates. I see them as true friends. They were both able to be truthful with one another, one challenging the other with a spirit of love and excellence. The truth didn't hurt—but the loss still does.
Pau Gasol also wrote "An Open Letter About Female Coaches" that reveals another important truth, that has shaped his view of the world. As written in the Players Tribune, he said, 
I grew up just outside of Barcelona, a child of two highly successful professionals. My father was a nurse and my mother was a doctor. 

I remember how people would often mistake my father as the doctor and my mom as the nurse — it happened more often than it should have, in my mind. To me, that my mother was a successful doctor … this was just the norm. And don’t get me wrong: I admired my dad’s hard work and job as well. But I grew up knowing that my mom got into a more rigorous school and program, and thus she had the more prominent job. That wasn’t weird, or a judgment in any direction. It was just the truth. And we never really thought twice about it. 
I can only imagine the life lessons his mom offered by her example and teachings. No doubt, that perspective is but one significant reason Gasol is so supportive of female coaches, especially in the NBA. 

I am grateful to my mom for the example and values she has instilled in me. I love talking to her on the phone, literally everyday and hearing the truth!

I have to believe this might the first article to ever combine Mother Angelica with Pau Gasol. I suppose if they two were to walk into a bar, we know not what they would talk about but we can guess it would be characterized by truth. Vero?!

No comments:

Post a Comment