Sunday, August 18, 2024

Lessons on Leadership 101: Thank you, Riley Leonard

Is there a topic that characterized your summer reading? It doesn't make for a typical beach read or pool side topic, but a visit from former Notre Dame President, Father Edward "Monk" Malloy, C.S.C. inspired me to read quite a bit about leadership. In town for the Universal Notre Dame Night Celebration, Father Malloy promoted his new book People First: Reflections on Leadership. His example, his stories and his lessons piqued my interest and invited me to read more about this subject.

We are all familiar with leadership. Why? Every one of us is affected by it. Many of us are leaders. Some are good ones. I like to consider What makes a person a strong leader? What qualities are non-negotiable if one is to lead effectively? I found an important answer in a likely person in a likely place through a likely tactic. I just needed the example; I'm grateful for the reminder. Thank you Riley Leonard. Though Monk did not share this story, he could have and maybe his will in the future. Let the game—or in this case, the social experiment begin.

Vis a vi the transfer portal, Fightin' Irish football welcomed former Duke quarterback Riley Leonard to the squad. Though the 2024 season officially starts in August, Leonard came to Notre Dame earlier in the year. His move from Raleigh-Durham to South Bend was among the first and biggest transfers of the offseason.

It nearly goes without saying, that quarterbacks are leaders and loners—They carry the weight of their team's hopes on their shoulders. All offensive action comes through the QB. Indeed, they are the focal point. Moreover, Leonard's transfer to Notre Dame follows in the foot steps Sam Hartman, a of a high profile transfer from one year prior. Leonard decided to make his mark as a leader with some preparation that has little to do with X's and O's and everything to do with how those will succeed. 

Pete Thamel tells the story of how he used Quizlet, the website and app used primarily as a study tool for students, to  learn the names and faces of his teammates ahead of his arrival at Notre Dame.

“So Quizlet, you and I call them flashcards, but we didn’t have iPhones,” Thamel explained. “And he put all, let’s just say, 100 of his teammates, walk-ons, everybody. He put all of their pictures and their names in Quizlet and he memorized everyone’s name and face.”

The former Duke student-athlete showed off his academic side and passed his self-made assignment with flying colors according to Thamel. Likely more familiar with his teammates that some of the Fighting Irish’s returning players following his study sessions.

“So the first day he walked in if Rece Davis was the backup long snapper from Muscle Shoals, Alabama, he would walk in and be like, ‘What’s up Rece? How was your break and Muscle Shoals?’ The back of long snapper is like how does he know who I am? He said that he went like 100 for 100, he said he didn’t get one guy’s name wrong,” Thamel said.

The effort put forth by Leonard is a tedious and small gesture that could potentially go a long way for Notre Dame. Showing great initiative as he looks to lead the program this upcoming season despite it representing his only year with the team.

“So anyway, but I thought that was instructive,” Thamel said. “People are like oh yeah, he’ll just go in and start. It’s like well it’s kind of hard, like these guys have to be rallied around you. They have to like you, have to be connected to them, you have to be you have to build, you have to build through adversity sometimes. But that was one of my favorite stories of the offseason.”

It was one of my favorite stories, too. Learning someone's name and calling him or her by it is Leadership 101. I know people who resent given leaders because they have never gotten to know who they are, and in particular—their name.


I will concede that for some people like me, learning names doesn't come easily. I have a tendency to remember where someone is from before I remember their name. However, in Leonard, we are given a tool...a practice...a method for learning and remembering names.

I decided that I would enter into the 2024 school year doing what Leonard did. I committed to creating my own flashcards (sorry Quizlet) as a sort of social experiment. I wanted to know: Could I do it? Would I enjoy the first day more? How might my students feel when they hear their names? Furthermore, I love a good social experiment, an opportunity 
to see how my students will respond to particular situations or scenarios. I learn a lot about them, but also about myself. I enjoy talking to my colleague who teaches psychology for social experiments he asks of his students. I am on the search for my own. Though he did not intend for this practice to be one, Leonard created one that all teachers and coaches might consider for themselves.

The result? First, I have mad respect for Leonard. 100 names is A LOT. I had to learn but 60 and it wasn't easy. Second, it was a little more challenging than I thought. I started my own flashcards about five days before school started. I needed at least a week or two. I should have employed those study skills I had when I was in high school when I used flashcards regularly. They work!...if you use them/make a game of it. Most importantly, I DID learn my students names and many of them were surprised—even delighted. One student said "How did you know my name?!" I asked another student to give me the first letter of his name. He told me and I got it right. His response was "I want you know I am going to be your favorite student." I said, "I hope so."

Malloy is right. Good leadership starts with "People First." All of us have a name and it deserves to be known and used. Find a way—a tactic or a procedure to learn them. That's also being a good student. Here's to a great school year and football season!

Photo Credits
Riley Leonard
Quizlet
Teammates
Coach and Leonard

No comments:

Post a Comment