Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Reflections on 23 Straight Days of Blogging for 2023

Having a full week off at Thanksgiving provided me the opportunity to relax, take a breath and look around. Maybe I should have kept my eyes closed—I noticed that basket that lives by my desk could not be contained. I let months of magazines and articles pile up. I did a personal inventory: What had I been reading? What was I missing? And how did I let things go?! 

I am fascinated by the idea of "inbox zero," but I know all too well (shout out Tay-Tay) what will never be. And yet, I recognized with this (new) break, I could do something about this mess. I have learned it takes 21 days to build a habit. I started to wonder, about writing as a habit. It is something I would like to do more regularly. Could I? If so, how? An idea was born.

On the Happier podcast, Gretchen Rubin and sister Elizabeth do an annual challenge with listeners. Rubin writes, "We’ve done #Walk20in20, #Read21in21, #Rest22in22, and #GoOutside23in23. Framing a habit this way makes it feel more fun–and also easier to maintain."

I've embraced their challenge since 2020. I have stuck with reading 21 minutes a day for the past three years. Last year, I aimed to play 22 different golf courses and attend mass at 22 new Catholic churches. Come August, I modified the challenge and combined the two. Mission accomplished! 

At the onset of 2023, I thought I would attend a combined total of 23 different sporting events and religious services. I didn't need an excuse to attend Wimbledon, but this goal made for a good one. And still, I lost steam somewhere in last January or February. I let it go and was okay with no 23 for 2023.... until I saw that basket.

I save articles because they spark an idea for a blog posting. Sometimes I need the information for teaching. The joy of offering a class like Sports and Spirituality is that what I read, write about and require is symbiotic,—one feeds into the other. The annual challenge provided a solution: blog for 23 straight days in 2023. Game on.

The first thing I want to say about this challenge is that I did it. I wrote everyday for 23 straight days. A colleague noticed that I was pumping out a lot of content. I told him I don't recommend it. At time, I was sleep deprived. I exercised less. I didn't have time for other things. In response, he said, "but you did it. You did it." Thank you, Darius for affirming the accomplishment. Truly, there is satisfaction in setting out to achieve a goal. I did it. yay!

Second, it was fascinating to see how bound a person can be to a commitment. More than once, I told myself "I don't have to do this." However, deep down inside, I knew I had to do it. There is some sort of moral fiber—a "stick-to-it-ness" that I have always been aware exists inside me. I was back in touch with that entity. I'm glad it's there.

Third, it was amazing just how many ideas came to me in the knick of time. For example, one I night I while waiting to pick up my friends' son, I took notice of a new kind of Giving Tree/Angel Tree. It wasn't early in the evening, but without a doubt, that had to be the post for the day. I have long subscribed to the mantra: seek and ye shall find. I did! But I also believe that there's something to be said for being found. 

Fourth, it's not insignificant just how much happens in a 23-day time period. In that three- week plus time frame, my alma mater named a new president, an icon in the St. Ignatius College Prep community passed, our country observed as national holiday, I attended a college football game, a beloved radio host lost his job and a celebrity came clean about a hot topic—the day AFTER my post. I would like to think she read it, but reality suggests otherwise.

For anyone seeking to take on a personal challenge, this is what I learned. Here are but a few recommendations from my 23 for 2023

  • Start when you have some free time. The Thanksgiving break provided me with the hours to lay enough of a  foundation that made it harder to opt out. By the time I returned to work, I already had six days under my belt. The finish line wasn't close, but it wasn't impossible.
  • I have a number of drafts on my blog. I had already done some strong writing and worked through the ideas. Too often I let perfect be the enemy of good. I just hadn't finished the thought or in this case, the post. Similar to my basket of papers, I wanted to work through those drafts. 23 for 2023 allowed me to finish four of them!
  • Be aware, and okay with the fact you will make sacrifices to accomplish this goal. Because I knew that I was going to write for 23 straight days, I realized my missing my morning workout or getting less sleep was for a short period of time. Was it worth it? Only you have to answer the question. If it's not, reconsider your goal. For me, it's a yes and a no. I'm a both/and person; this is fitting!
  • Many people will make an argument for accountability. In this instance, I was accountable only to myself. I did tell but a few people I trust and respect but overall, the goal was mine. I did not do it for financial gain, for honor or glory. I did it because I was curious to discover how it would go, what I would learn and how it will affect me in the future.

Am I a better writer? Maybe. Do I have more respect for those who write for a living? 1000%!! And I'm related to one! Was it fun? YES. I love sharing my stories and making connections. I wouldn't have a blog if I didn't. Would I do it again? Probably not. I could, but I have my day job ;-) My biggest take away? What I heard from my coworker and from my own self: I did it. Young kids delight in doing things by themselves. I guess that never goes away.

By the numbers. In the 23 for 2023 posts, They were inspired by
book: 3 posts
video: 1 post
article: 2 posts
podcast: 2 posts
event: 5 posts
magazine article: 1 post
Notre Dame: 4 posts (only 4?!!)
health issue: 3 posts

Questions for you the reader: What is a tension in your life? Or an area of dis-ease? Meaning, something you want to contain or tidy up (think of that basket). What can you do to get to the bottom of it...or simplify. Consider a way to frame the task you want to undertake. Think of the advice and go. As Gretchen Rubin would say "Onward and upward!" Here's to 24 in 2024 and guess what it is....

For 2024, our challenge is…#Write24in24!

Depending on your goals, your specific project, and what’s manageable, you can write for 2-4 minutes or 24 minutes a day. Click here to read tips and strategies for approaching this year’s challenge in the way that works for you.

Photo Credits
23 for 2023
You did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment