Friday, December 8, 2023

23 Ways to Cope: Sports and Spirituality Style

Counselors at the high school where I teach met with students about two weeks before finals, which preceded Christmas break, to discuss good mental health strategies. Given the typical student's stress level, the demands of the holiday season, the short days and long nights, I wasn't surprised that our school community found it important to recognize how they might be feeling and offer resources for them to maintain their well-being.
The handout "100 Ways to Cope" caught my attention for it was not only creative yet practical, I noticed how many of them relate to the world of Sports and Spirituality. Here a brief reflection on seven of them and 23 to focus on overall for 2023.
  1. Exercise: Run, walk, frisbee, etc
    Exercise increases blood flow, emits endorphins, and it puts us in touch with others, ourselves and with God. I can't think of a better way to ward off stress than to exercise; it has and continues to keep me sane. Exercise also makes me aware of the mind, body and soul connection. To workout is to challenge all three realms. 

  2. Prepare for the morning the night before
    The hardest part of exercise is often getting to the gym! I have found when I prepare my clothes and pack my gym bag the night before, the odds are dramatically in favor of getting there. I know too well what Coach John Wooden said, "failing to prepare is preparing to fail." To prepare a healthy lunch the night before means I'm eating well the next day! To prep my gear and bag in advance, means what can get in my way of working out is...well, not a whole lot.

  3. Watch a movie and eat popcorn
    Some of my favorite movies involve sports. One of my regrets this semester is not offering a movie series on boxing. The sport carries a narrative well. So well that two movies about boxing have won the Academy Award for Film of the Year: Rocky and Million Dollar Baby. Given that I teach a semester class, I may give this a go in the month of January (it's long). They choose the movie to watch. Others will include: Cinderella Man, The Boxer and Creed.

    I think popcorn is the added bonus. There's something to be said for settling in to watch the whole movie, not less—with a tub of popcorn by your side.

  4. Study the sky
    Play golf and you will not only study the sky, but the wind as well. As someone newer to golf, I have enjoyed the attention to detail that golfers pay to sun, sky, wind and rain....yes, that's what happens when you play a game that was invented in Scotland, no? Runners are forced to study the sky. There are far worse lots in life!

  5. Take a hot shower or relaxing bath
    Ah! The rewards of a good workout. Yes, some athletes are tasked with the ice bath before a hot shower, but on tired and sore muscles, nothing feels better than these ways of coping.

  6. Take a nap (only if you're tired)
    There are a wide variety of opinions on the nap. Some do everything they can to stay away from one—worrying that if they nap, they won't fall asleep later that night. I can almost guarantee that if you workout hard or long, you body will crave a nap....and if it's a good nap, you feel refreshed and re-energized. Your body will thank you twice: for the exercise and for the zzz's.

  7. Go somewhere very public
    It's good to be out in the open and see how big our world is...and how many people there are and how many people you run into. I love reporting back to my family who I saw and what we talked about. I rarely make it to a sporting event where I don't see someone I know. And even in my own parish, I have gotten to know the people—young and old sitting in the pews. Some help me pray better. Others have become friends. When we come together, I realize I am part of the Living Body of Christ.

Consider these and share your own reflections....
  1. Say "hello" to a stranger
  2. Practice breathing slowly
  3. Do a brand new thing
  4. Shoot hoops, kick a ball
  5. Ride a bicycle
  6. Talk to someone close to you.
  7. Become a better listener.
  8. Jump on a trampoline.
  9. Go to a ball game and scream.
  10. Keep a journal.
  11. Strive for excellence, NOT perfection.
  12. Get enough sleep.
  13. Freely praise other people.
  14. Yoga.
  15. Make a list of goals for the week/month/year/5 years.
  16. Hug a friend or family member.
These 23 suggestions for 2023 are on point. They speak to the importance of our mental, emotional, spiritual, physical and intellectual well-being and the on-going work and effort to maintain all of it. Framing these suggestions through the lens of Sports and Spirituality grounds a list into my reality. I hope it's helpful and interesting to you. Good luck to students in finals! Godspeed to parents in making it through and Blessings to all this holiday season!

Photo Credits
The Boxer
Stress
Hoops

No comments:

Post a Comment