Driving to school on Friday morning, I heard an audio montage—tributes from baseball players, managers and former teammates honoring Mike Krukow. Kruk pitched in Major League Baseball for 13 years before moving into the broadcast booth in 1990. Four years later, he joined Duane Kuiper, beginning one of baseball's most beloved broadcasting partnerships. And the better half of this dynamic duo (am I allowed to say that?) called his final game this weekend at Oracle Park. He is, "Forever Giant."
I was nearly in tears as I listened to the stories and memories, moments of grace and gratitude that lasted nearly twenty five minutes. Every commendation, remembrance and recollection for Kruk came from both the head and the heart. I encourage you to listen for yourself (17.54 min tribute to San Francisco Giants Legend Mike Krukow from 9/25). You'll hear words of wisdom, well wishes, gratitude and, ultimately, love.
Saying farewell to this future Hall of Fame broadcaster put a proper end to a disappointing season—the third worst since the team moved to San Francisco in 1958. And yet, loyal Giants fans came out to the yard all week to bid adieu. When I went to the game on Tuesday, September 22, I didn't realize I would be given my own opportunity to say goodbye—and, in the process, experience a kairotic moment as well. Allow me to explain.
In Sports and Spirituality, we are studying something familiar to all of us: time and space. Our examination of both, however, is in relationship to ritual, superstition, prayer—literally, figuratively, metaphorically and more. Our textbook, "On the Eighth Day: A Catholic Theology of Sport," examines four perspectives on time. Most of us are familiar with chronos—chronological time, the minutes, hours, days and years by which we measure our lives. But there is another kind of time: kairos. My students would refer to kairos as God's time. Our textbook describes it as a deeper time, or "the right moment." It states, "Kairotic time recognizes the significance of an event in the here and now. Instead of a moment merely being one second within sequential time, kairotic time denotes an important moment of action and has a permanent, in-depth nature."
A person need not go to a sacred space to encounter sacred time, and that's the beauty of Sports and Spirituality. A kairotic moment can happen on retreat, through the sacraments, or, in this instance, at Oracle Park.
My friends and I stood during the 7th Inning Stretch—a ritual that is both physically and mentally up lifting. The song came to a close, and my friend Jimmy and I both looked in the direction of Mike Krukow, sitting at his perch in the broadcast booth, not far from where we were standing. He looked our way, and we both waved. He waved back, and we turned to one another, confirming that we had, in fact, shared that moment with Kruk. Although it was a brief exchange that didn't involve any words—just smiling faces, a warm wave and grateful hearts—it felt timeless. Eternal. Forever Giant.
On the Eighth Day writes, "As in life, sports time is always 'kairotic.' The game will end; the race will be over; the season will come to a close. This lends deeper purpose, meaning, and promise to sport, which partially explains its popularity in an immanent world that can seem flat and devoid of teleological energy."
That's what a kairotic moment does: it interrupts ordinary time and gives us a glimpse of something more. For a few seconds at Oracle Park, time seemed to stand still. The game continued, the season was ending, and Kruk's final broadcast was approaching—but we were given something sacred. Connection, meaning, and gratitude... the stuff of God's time.
Thank you Mike Krukow, Forever Giant. Amen


No comments:
Post a Comment