Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Giving JOY on #GivingTuesday—Thank you, World Cup Soccer Fans

As they walked in from break, well over half of my students asked me if we could watch the USA vs Iran soccer match during class. They know I am a sports fan. I will admit I love the live experience. Reluctantly, I told them we had too much to do. However, our lesson on Advent sparked a conversation about #GivingTuesday and joy and made room for a few minutes of viewing time. USA 1, — Iran 0. Great wins!

At the start of class we prayed over the Advent wreath. As a way to teach about this holy season, I asked my students to "name a symbol or tradition associated with the Christmas season that is meaningful to you." One student said "decorating the Christmas tree." Another added, "opening the Advent calendar." Love it. And still another said, "I appreciate that this is a season of giving." I pointed to our boxes for our Christmas food drive and said "thank you for that example. What a great way to think about this time of year."

Perhaps she knew today is Giving Tuesday—a day of giving that follows three days of material consumption: Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday. But the article Giving Tuesday 2022 Is Today: What It Means and How You Can Help offers another insight. 

It's a great way for people across the country to think about their communities and to help those they don't know. Since its inception 10 years ago, the movement has raised billions of dollars for nonprofit organizations across the spectrum, whether it's for at-risk youth, the environment or pet adoptions.And while the money is incredibly significant, there are other ways to help besides giving cash: You can volunteer with a nonprofit, for example, or donate your old clothes to a shelter. You can even just be kind to your neighbor. 

Here, here.
I thought about the invitation to give in different ways. No doubt, giving kindness is a great gift...but I would like to suggest one other precious resource. While kindness may ask something of us, this costs nothing. It need not be in short supply, but too often it is. It's a theme of this season and it's worth passing on and sharing. It's a mentioned in many a Christmas Carol and it's what two of my colleagues brought to me by just being who they are. It's joy.

I walked into school today with a heavy heart. I went straight to my classroom only to see red, white and blue off in the distance. A long time coach and player, John came to school today in a former warm-up jacket from the US Men's National Team from the 90s. It's classic. 

He was talking to another colleague in the hallway about the match up of Iran vs. the USA, smiling ear to ear. His energy and enthusiasm were contagious. I turned around only to see Carlos in his jacket and I thought back to watching Womens' World Cup matches with the two of them in the summer of 2019. I think they arrived at the bar when it opened. 
I love the way that sports fans demonstrate their devotion and allegiance to their teams. My dear friend Eileen worse this repurposed face mask as a head band for game day. My friend and coworker Patrick wore one of the more handsome USA soccer jackets I have seen. He claims it was from the Gold Cup. As a sports fan, I am an easy target, but I also saw the smiles and joyful reactions from my students when I shared the photo of their teachers fired up, in anticipation of what each World Cup Match would bring. 

One student said "King!" I didn't understand what he meant. I said "I'm sorry, what did you say." He didn't want to answer. Another student explained what he meant. I still didn't understand. Members of the class laughed; I tried to move on. I couldn't. He said, "it's like saying they are icons. It's a compliment."

After class, that student came up to me and showed me the Urban Dictionary definition of "King."
Learning a new word, especially a positive one—a shout out like this brings me joy, too.

Joy is worth giving to others on #GivingTuesday and more. It is worth receiving, too. Thanks soccer fans!

Photo Credits none needed!

1 comment: