Saturday, October 26, 2019

Sports and Spirituality Moment: What's in Your Podcast Playlist?

You can tell a lot about a person from the books they read, the company they keep, the car they drive, even the shoes they shine....excuse me, wear. While some might make an argument that a person's playlist reveals insight into who they are, I'd like to advocate for something a little more specific: the podcast playlist.
My podcasts playlist includes eight different icons. However, the three I listen to the most are:
  1. Pardon the Interruption, or PTIESPN personalities Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon's popular TV show in podcast format for listening on demand. Kornheiser and Wilbon provide fast paced analysis and debate of the top sports stories.
  2. Happier: Gretchen Rubin talks about ideas and tips for making your life happier. My co-host (and guinea pig) is my younger sister, TV writer and producer Elizabeth Craft, and together we propose try-this-at-home ideas, offer simple happiness hacks, listener questions, discuss common stumbling blocks, take debate know-yourself-better questions, and give weekly demerits and gold stars.
  3. The On-Being Project: Hosted by Krista Tippett, it examines what it calls the, "animating questions at the center of human life: What does it mean to be human, and how do we want to live?"
I believe my podcast playlist adequately reflects what matters to me. Is this true for you, too? Have you ever asked a person about his or her favorite podcasts? I know #2 came to me by way of a trusted friend—thank you Erin!
I sincerely admire the creativity and genius that goes into the making of a good podcast. I would love to have my own audioblog (as they were originally known) but I also know there is no shortage of good ones. I've asked myself Do the internet airwaves need another voice weighing in? Is there a Sports and Spirituality audience in search of a mindful or moving mediation? Maybe! 

If so, please take a listen to my contribution, a small dent into the world of podcasting; Sports and Spirituality MomentCreated by my good friend and former co-worker, Sean, this episode addresses what takes place on Sunday @ Noon on game-days with a 1:35 PM first pitch at St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Southeast DC, just five blocks from Nationals Stadium. The idea stems from the CBS Sports Minute launched in 2012 by Boomer Esiason, Jim Rome, and others. These brief reflections ought to spawn a conversation, get wheels turning, and/or spark dialogue. A Sports and Spirituality moment may even prompt prayer. Let me know.
For those of you who work in communications, my Sports and Spirituality moments can be been used during halftime or timeouts of any athletic contests streamed through internet radio. My friend Sean, who serves the executive producer of digital and social media at St. Ignatius College Prep also includes prerecorded interviews of the coaches, players, team captains, the principal and renown alumni. Including a Sports and Spirituality moment in this mix helps an audience understand a little bit more about the mission of our schools and direct our athletic programs.

I hope my reflection on #NatsMass help you reflect a little more on the creative ways the Church is trying to meet people—in particular baseball fans—where they are. And, I have to wonder if there will be a SPECIAL mass before Game 5, this Sunday! Go Nationals!
You can listen to my podcast here
Photo Credits
WS in DC

No comments:

Post a Comment