Thursday, February 21, 2019

What is really in our DNA...

For Christmas 2017, I gave my mom and Ancenstry.com kit. I joined in the fun, spit into the vial and sent our respective DNA samples in the mail with the good faith that family secrets would be revealed. For the next six weeks, my mom and I waited in anticipation for what we might learn. We checked e-mail and snail mail, we discussed and dreamed what could be. When the results finally arrived via gmail, we discovered a lot of what we already knew: my mom is nothing but Emerald Isle. I on the other hand, found some cultural flavor as my dad's family has some ethnic diversity. Who knew that Iberian Peninsula and Greco-Italian would come into my German/French/Swiss mix?! 
My brother, Dad and Uncle Tim sneak in a visit with my Aunt Dorothy before and after the Rose Bowl
I came to find out my mom took the picture. 
However, as excited as I was to receive this report, I felt somewhat disappointed when the results finally came. I stared at the screen and thought: Is this all there is? What did I really think it could tell me?  There is more to a person that the region from which their ancestors hail. Though spaces and places define us, I think there is much more that our DNA "carries" but won't be revealed from a saliva sample. This is where I have come to understand that the life and legacy of loved ones can offer just as much—if not more. 

with full knowledge that this little one's
parents are Seahawks fans, Tim is dressed
accordingly ;-)
On January 28, my Uncle Tim, my dad's second of four younger brothers died at the age of 73. I have no doubt that on this day he entered into eternal life. Tim lives on in my heart and forever with God. Since the time of his passing, I have read many tributes and fond memories of my God father. Every post reveals a consistent and common message: my Uncle Tim was a devout Catholic and a huge sports fan. Examples include:
  • Tim was a walking, talking dictionary on all things sports and we will miss talking to him as we walked by his condo to hit balls on the Brookdale Golf driving range. As a member of the Tacoma Athletic Commission,  Tim became a fixture at each monthly meeting and at many TAC events. The closing of the Brookdale Golf Course pretty much coincides with the ending of Tim's outstanding life. Tim will definitely be missed and we will always remember seeing him at High School games and tournament at the Tacoma Dome. God Bless Tim and all the Stricherz Family.
  • Tim's knowledge of sports, statistics, and memorable plays were great to listen to. I wonder if he got Jay involved to where he is now in sports plus being a great referee. Peace and love to be with you as a family.
  • Tim was the most loyal sports fan for Franklin Pierce and Washington High School that I ever knew, He will be remembered by many.
  • His exceptional interest in sports led him to become a member of Tacoma Athletic Commission (TAC). Most important in Tim’s life was his faith, family, and friends.
In his eulogy, I shared my own memories of my Uncle Tim coming to Notre Dame my freshman year for the Stanford game. The Irish lost; Tim made me...and my dad feel better. During my senior year, he flew me out to Seattle to see the Irish take on the Huskies. I don't remember who he cheered for that day—he was a UW fan!— but I remember how much I enjoyed being there with him. One of our final conversations was a debate about, what else? college football.

Tim's funeral was at of Our Lady Queen of Heaven Parish in Spanaway, Washington. My Uncle Guy noted that he was a founding member of this parish and logged in what must have been at least two forty hour work weeks of mass time. My cousin Jackie said how much she will miss "seeing him in his spot at church." Even though I live over 1,000 miles away, I know exactly where that spot is and will always be.

Reading about my Uncle Tim, his life and his impact has taught me more about my own DNA that "23 and Me" or "Ancenstry.com" ever could. I also go to a lot of high school basketball games—I always have. I sit in the stands and realize it's just in my DNA. I too have a penchant for talking sports, especially trivia. I know from whence that came. I hope this post will inspire you to consider what else might be in your DNA.

My Uncle Tim had a brief battle with cancer. His friend Rick drove him to and from medical appointments as needed. He also read the First Reading at Tim's mass of Christian burial. At the reception following the service, I asked Rick how he knew my uncle. He told me "when I was a kid, I was in need of a gym to practice basketball and shoot around. Your Uncle Tim always let me in there to play. We reconnected many years later and went to hoops games together." No one was surprised to hear how a friendship with my uncle was born—from sports and in service. Great qualities, wonderful passions to have in your DNA.

Love you, Uncle Tim.
Very fitting that in your memory, people can make a donation to the Tacoma Athletic Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment