Monday, July 20, 2015

All You Need to Know about the 2015 British Open: Thanks, Help, Wow

Most sports fans wanted to know one thing about this year's British Open. Would Jordan Spieth earn a third major championship? Although some nasty weather changed the conversation, if you were able to tune in for today's final round you may have been asking "Who's Marc Leishman?" or "Wait, where did Phil Mickelson hit the ball on the 17th hole?" or "When will Jordan birdie again?" However as far as I'm concerned there's only one question worth answering about the 2015 Open. "What did Zach Johnson say?"
Killer 25 foot putt to put Johnson to 15 under for the tie. "I had a good read." Wish we always did, bud.
Tom Rinaldi, one of my favorite analysts allowed Johnson to paint a perfect picture. Indeed less is more. He met him off the green and simply said: How do you describe it?

Johnson replied,
I can’t. I’m at a loss for words. You don’t want to see a tournament end on a miss. Louis is a champion…and a friend. 
But I'm grateful, humbled. I’m thankful, I’m honored. 
This is the birth place of the game. I felt great. I was patient. I had some scripture running through my head. 
I thank the Lord. I thank my friends. I thank my family. I’m in awe right now.  
It’s a beautiful game.
One of my favorite spiritual authors is Anne Lamott. In her newest book "Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers" she writes.  
I do not know much about God and prayer but I have come to believe, over the last twenty-five years, that there’s something to be said about keeping prayer simple. "Help. Thanks. Wow."
Sounds a whole lot like what Johnson said. Congratulations to man who "gets to play golf for a living." A beautiful person for a beautiful game.
Johnson joins the luckiest golfers in the world. A victor at the Masters & The Open

Photo Credits
Great putt
St. Andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment