Thursday, January 18, 2024

Arthur Ashe Stands on Monument Avenue in Richmond, VA

The third Monday in January, honoring Martin Luther King, Jr., is the only federal holiday designated by Congress as a national day of service. In other words, Americans are encouraged to observe the holiday by making a positive impact on their community and live a faith that does justice. I always say it is "not a day off, it is a day on." It is a day to do—to give, to live the message of Dr. King and more. This year, I traveled to Richmond, VA to see the statue of the late tennis great, Arthur Ashe in appreciation for how he used his platform to share messages much like MLK's.

One of my favorite quotes from King speaks to his belief in service. He said,

Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

I believe when we lovingly and  generously give our time and talents in service to others we become so much more. I do not think King was overly idealistic about the power of service. An author, orator, leader and community organizer, Dr King  remains an American hero because he gave his life in loving service to others. But he wasn't the only one to weigh in on service and its importance. 

Arthur Ashe said, 
“True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.”

Perhaps he was speaking about King, but I also believe Ashe was speaking from the heart. The namesake of the main stadium at the USTA National Tennis Center, fortunately there is no shortage of information about his life. But for the purpose of this blog, however, I would like to share the story of the statue that stands in his honor in his hometown of Richmond, Virginia.

In 1996, the city of Richmond posthumously honored Ashe's life with a statue by sculptor Paul DiPasquale on Monument Avenue, a street that had been traditionally reserved for statues of key figures of the Confederacy. This decision led to some controversy in a city that was once the capital of the Confederate States during the American Civil War. However, the video short Arthur Ashe Statue Sets Precedent for Monument Avenue, explains how and explains why.

In 1992, Arthur Ashe publicly announced that he contracted HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, He began working to educate others about HIV and AIDS, a disease that at that time was laden with social stigma. For DiPasquale, that heroism "created in my mind what looked like a social need to recognize this native son of Richmond, and of Virginia, born and raised here, who was an international star and world champion, three times over."

The sculptor admits "Monument Avenue didn't seem to fit." However, in talking to Ashe about this statue and what it should include in his mind "the question changed from Why put Arthur Ashe on Monument Avenue? to Why shouldn't we put Arthur Ashe on Monument Avenue to honor this man? And update Monument Avenue?"


Twenty eight years later, all of the Confederate statues and their pedestals have been taken down and removed from Monument Avenue. The events surrounding the murder of George Floyd prompted this change. 

DiPasquale adds "Monument Avenue is a long avenue. There is plenty of room for other heroes—but Arthur Ashe still stands on Monument Avenue." 

I traveled to North Carolina over the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend to visit one of my closest friends, who moved to Raleigh and to meet up with two former students who are members of the Duke men's basketball team in Durham. Realizing I wasn't all that far from Washington, DC I asked my brother, sister-in-law and nieces to meet me in Richmond, VA.

When I was considering what we could do or see in Richmond, all I knew was that I wanted to see the Arthur Ashe statue on Monument Avenue. Visiting that space provided me with an opportunity to recognize this great American. My brother informed me that when he died, his body was laid in state at the Governor's Mansion, located in Richmond, VA. According to CNN.com, "He was the first person to lie in state at the mansion since the Confederate general Stonewall Jackson in 1863." Even in death, Arthur Ashe emerges a sober but true hero.

I returned to school the day after what would have been Dr. King's 95th birthday, eager to teach my students about Arthur Ashe—the story of his statue and how he lived out a message that resonated with MLK. I would like to know why he requested that his shoe laces be untied. I'm glad he played a game that I love. I remember those press conferences and his grace.

Maybe true heroes demonstrate grace like that of Richmond's own...

Photo Credits
Ashe at Wimbledon
Stadium
#GrottoNetwork

No comments:

Post a Comment