Saturday, April 20, 2019

The Tiger in the Room

I usually waste no time in composing yet another ode to the Masters. Oh Augusta! How I love thee. Let me count the ways. This year's tourney—set on golf's most stunning stage (my bias)— offered another remarkable chapter to its own history book and the game of golf's as well. Minutes after Tiger Woods captured his 15th Grand Slam title and his fifth at Augusta, I posted a photo with the caption: "There are no words. Golf won today." It did. The win was stunning, dramatic and emotional—for good and for bad. So why the pause? Why has it taken me five days to write what I have thought, discussed, shared and believe? I suppose it's because there's a Tiger in the room. I hope you know what I mean. To me, that Tiger presents a challenge, a quandary—its own, unique type of question that people are not asking. And so I wonder, can we get answers without questions...the question? 
I have gone my mailbox since Tuesday in anticipation of what I knew would be the Sports Illustrated cover photo and story featuring their two-time Sportsman of the Year. I came home yesterday to the iconic image: Tiger with arms raised in his trademark red and black. No caption....no words. I read the article hoping that it would offer me answers to my question. Perhaps this is your question. It's hard to form and tough to ask. What to do?

Michael Rosenberg's piece "TIGER" framed what sports fans have been discussing all week and raising questions we love to debate: Is this the greatest comeback of all time? This question began percolating when Tiger captured his 81st PGA tour win at The Tour Championship in October 2018. His 2019 Masters championship advanced that same question full throttle. Since that time, so many others have followed.

In his address to those inducted into PHI EA SIGMA at Colgate University, Coleman Brown wrote "Questions, you know, are not only the problems or paragraphs or multiple-choices on mid-terms and finals. Questions can be teachers. Questions can be like enigmatic but enduring friends; like someone whom you know so well yet still do not know but are thankful for." Sports fans can't help but be excited about the questions that we are asking with more sincerity since Tiger won. Questions such as the following are some of the good ones. 
  • Will he surpass Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 Grand Slam victories? 
  • Is he deserving of the Presidential Medal of Freedom? (this was announced on Monday, April 15 by President Trump).
  • How happy Joe LaCava right now? (the man was hired to caddy for Woods in/around 2011 and has stayed with him). #risktaker
  • Was that man standing with Tiger's mom Tida, his daughter Sam (11), son Charlie (10) and his girlfriend on the 18th green his back surgeon? (based on Rosenberg's article, I think it was his friend and business partner, Rob McNamara). Whoever his surgeon is, he or she deserves to be in that inner circle! Athletes get this question...
Other questions invite us to consider his impact. Most folks are already familiar with the "Tiger Effect." Woods has done more to grow the game in popularity, in particular among men and women of color than any single golfer. Tony Finau, who played in Woods' grouping on Sunday admits that he started playing golf because Tiger looked like him. I played golf after breakfast at the Masters to see a father and son donning a red shirt and black pants—their own personal tribute. To not ask How will Tiger's comeback effect golf? is shortsighted. This question must be raised....and so should this one.

How can we speak of the Tiger in the room? How should we speak of this Tiger? From what I have read and heard, watched and learned, THIS Tiger is an athlete who has made an incredible comeback from injury, four surgeries and a life that he never thought would be pain free again. This Tiger struggled with dependence on pain medication in the form prescription drugs. This Tiger was arrested for a DUI. But what the ESPN program "Tiger Woods: Return of the Roar" skirted around and and others fail to address is that Tiger Woods has also returned from living a lie.

Tiger Woods presented himself to be one person for many years. He was married to Elin Woods. He was teflon. He was the best of the best. We loved what we saw on the course and from what we knew off of it, all good. Those in his inner circle knew otherwise.

I don't think there is any coincidence that his last Grand Slam win was in 2008 and a year and a half later, the fall began with leaked voicemails....a club through the windshield of his Escalade and a self-imposed six-moth hiatus from professional golf. Since that time, Woods has struggled personally and professionally. To me, he skirts around the issue of what living a life without integrity can cost an individual. Infidelity and dishonesty, perception against reality take an emotional, mental and spiritual toll. 


I do believe people can change. As a Christian, I sincerely believe that I must...though most people will advise us not to. Christians are constantly called to conversion. Too often we hear a call for forgiveness; I do not want to underestimate how truly difficult and yet important it is to forgive our enemies AND the ones we love the most. But in this case, I want to put the onus on conversion. The call to conversion means that we must turn toward the light. We must root out sin. We must rely on the love and support of community, as we can't do it alone. Ultimately, we must ask for God's mercy and grace. This is what makes us new.
THIS is Tiger in the room of which I speak. I want to know what he has done with his mind and his heart, in addition to his game to see what we all saw at the 83rd Masters. We saw a golfer who has focused, who was in the zone. He drew upon an inner calm and referenced that reservoir of notes he has taken over the years to master Augusta National. I feel lucky to have seen what I saw. That Tiger in the room is why we love sports—it's also why we debate, disagree and sometimes just don't know. Sunday at the Masters is always super special; Sunday April 14, 2019 was no exception. Congratulations Tiger Woods.

Photo Credits
with LaCava
that green jacket

his family
SI Cover

No comments:

Post a Comment