Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Numbers in Sports: 77 Year Old Woman Lifts 215 Lbs.


Sports Illustrated knows numbers. They should for they are inextricably linked to sport. Numbers define time—minutes, seconds, halves and quarters. They indicate the score, the number of time outs remaining and our place in the standings. They are used for statistics, streaks and records. For example 409 has great significance for Penn State fans. In the article "It's Complicated," Tim Layden discloses that the settlement in a lawsuit between the NCAA and the State of Pennsylvania pushed Coach Joe Paterno's win total back to its original and mighty impressive total. I'm sure Duke fans are anxious to see how SI will recognize Coach K's 1000th win and since Warriors fans are still talking about Klay Thompson's 37 points, the most points in any quarter for an NBA basketball quarter, I'm game for more on that too.

Indeed numbers have power. How much is Coach Jim Harbaugh making at University of Michigan? They challenge for us: What did you say par was on this hole? Where am I on the depth chart? They also have sentimental value. Anyone who knows me knows why I love the #22 and #44..and now #13. They can reveal quite a bit about a person and a program. For example, in SI's "Go Figure" I read:
161-2: Score of a girls' high school basketball game won by Arroyo Valley High of San Bernadino, Calif., over Bloomington High on January 5, leading to Arroyo coach Michael Anderson's being suspended for two games. Arroyo led 104-1 at half time.
Other than wondering about his IQ, I asked myself: Are there only 5 girls on his team? I'm having a tough time understanding why any coach would run up the score like that.

Beneath that post, I read:
$792,845.68: Total cost of an eight-day exhibition trip to the Bahamas last August for Kentucky basketball players, coaches staff and 57 boosters. Among the individual costs was a $23,855.50 reception dinner.
Those numbers bring an interesting angle to the conversation: Should college athletes get paid? If so, how much?
Watch all 105 pounds of this little lady deadlifting 215 lbs in the video below #Inspiration
But one number that is a source of pain and pride, relevance and yet insignificance is our age. For many people age is "just a number." For some it's a reason to celebrate; Do you remember your 21st birthday?  And for others it's a goal: I hope to make it to my 100th birthday. I want that letter from the President of the United States! And as I was reminded by this 77 year old woman who dead lifts 215 pounds (yes, you read that correctly) age should never be an excuse.

Willie Murphy said "I never use the words I can't. I only use the words I'll try. That's the way I've always lived my life. I will try to do my best everyday." No wonder she's the feature of "USA TODAY'S Inspiration Nation."

And from the interview we learn that the mentality Ms Murphy carries isn't limited to just the weight room. How great is her comment: "I can pick up my grandkids, but most importantly, I can carry my own groceries!" Who isn't saying "Go Granny Go!" after seeing that?!

I have long been an advocate for lifting weights. Although power-lifting is its own genre, strength training offers much more than physical well-being. And as listed in the article "Total Recall," it offers much more.
Turns out strength training does wonders for body and mind. According to new research from GA Tech, just one 20-minute bout of resistance training can enhance memory by 10%. Stress hormones released during these exercises may stimulate the amygdala, a region of the brain that plays a role in memory, explains Lisa Weinberg, lead author of the study. So next time you are prepping for a big meeting, take a break for a round of bicep curls or squats. You’ll remember to thank us later.
I hope to! And with the example of a woman like Willie Murphy, I know I have the ability to shovel my own snow at any age. I also have an inspiring example of someone who exercises an important motto: I'll try. I will work at a goal little by little everyday.  Thank you Willie Murphy—all 105 pounds of you!

Photo Credits
409

Willie Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment