Monday, September 11, 2017

The Magis: Sports Can Reveal What It Is and What it is Not

The Magis might be the most misunderstood term in all of Ignatian Spirituality. Even the video Do You Speak Ignatian: Terms in Ignatian Spirituality leaves the viewer wanting...well...more (no pun intended here).The website states: 
“Magis,” Latin for “more,” is a key concept in Ignatian spirituality. But while our competitive society often thinks in terms of doing more, magis calls us to depth and quality in what we do. Magis invites us to consider how we can serve the world better, with fire, passion, and zeal. 
A lot of people can do more, but that's not what the Magis asks of us. This term points to how we are called to live and be. To strive for the Magis is to live like Christ, a man who asked His disciples not to throw more nets into the sea, but to cast them deeper. 
Though the Magis might be misunderstood, it might also be the most important those of us in Jesuit education have. Therefore examples and experiences of what it is and what it is not are necessary. The Magis isn't something a student or athlete figures out in an instant; they come to understand, to emulate, to realize over time, with guidance, trial, and error, teaching, and instruction. The Magis is "Our Way of Proceeding" and every pilgrim needs a path and a guide. I hope these examples help.
What it is not
In what was an unusually warm and muggy day for the Bay Area, I asked my returning golfers to play a set number of holes. I would not be with them on the course as I was still working toward finalizing a roster and setting a lineup; I needed to be with the other girls. After repeating how many holes I wanted them to play through, I said, "try to make your way to the van between 5:00 and 5:15, no sooner." 

I could see this group of girls in front of me *potentially* finishing a long hole, a Par-5 (I'm not they completed their putts). Instead of walking up hill, hustling and getting one final hole in (a Par-3) they turned around to bring it in. I looked at my watch, the time was 4:50. Their decision prompted the group in the back of them to walk back too...which they did...down the middle of the fairway...taking no notice of the final group who was teeing off. Not only was their decision an errant one, it was rude and potentially dangerous.

My blood was boiling. The word "underachievement" was on repeat in my mind. I asked the first group if they got through the holes number of holes I had suggested. To their credit, they admitted they had not and I calmly asked them to head back and finish the Par-3 hole. I instructed the other group to head to a different Par-3 hole and I would meet everyone back at the van when we were done.

By the time we huddled together, I had calmed down. I told my team, "One of the many things I love about St. Ignatius, our school, is the language we have. I love the notion of the Magis. The Magis is to strive for the more...to go deeper....and this is something we have to help one another to achieve. Today is one such day that we did not work toward that. I asked you to play a number of holes within a given amount of time. At one point in this practice, you had a decision to make. You could have hustled and worked to get to that goal, or you could pack it up and bring it in. I'm not looking for a team that is seeking to do the bare minimum. I don't want a group of underachievers. I'm looking for golfers who are athletes...for girls who know it will be ok to be tired at the end of practice (I then added you should be tired at the end)." They understood.

We can always learn what something is by what it is not. Their actions worked against what the Magis seeks. As their coach, it is my responsibility to point out how things could have been different...where we want to go and who we want to be. 

I have goals for my athletes. They have goals as teammates and as competitors. Though golf is an individual sport, we can only achieve our best together. To me, this means encouraging one another...sharing our own gifts and talents, intelligence and abilities to help one another be our best. Jesus' nets were filled by going deep....but rowing into the deep and casting that net into those waters takes insight, patience, encouragement, and faith. Those nets yielded more. I hope and pray we get there.


What it is.
I'll let the story of Christ the King's football team speak for itself, excuse me, for the Magis. Seven students, one dream. Limited facilities, but one year to play tackle football. In a community rife with violence, several young men demonstrate how that energy can be channeled differently. Their teacher and the administrators are rowing with them in deep waters. Together, they dropped their nets...these students were patient, intelligent and worked hard. Look at their yield. Simply said, it's the Magis. 

Our head football coach, who I consider a good friend said without hesitation, I would love to coach those kids. Leading kids to the Magis is a gift. Coaching them....wow. 

Photo Credits
Nets
CTK Football

No comments:

Post a Comment