Sunday, February 11, 2018

Super Bowl LII: A Sports Fan's Perspective

I've always liked the question: What gets you out of bed in the morning? Last Monday, the primary reason I got out of bed at 5:30 a.m. in time for my 6:00 a.m. Hour of Power class is because of Super Bowl LII. One might think the sheer athleticism of the contest would light a fire in my inner athlete and motivate me to hit the weight rack, pound the pavement and bench press, dip and curl. No...I went to my gym because I couldn't wait to talk about the game. A great upset, a valiant victory—yes the Eagles won their first Super Bowl—but football won, too. This sport that many people currently "love to hate" revealed to us, once again, why it captures our hearts, minds and our pocketbooks.  Here are but a few thoughts from the perspective of a sports fan.
A Case for Impartiality
For years, Pats fans have proclaimed loud and proud that you can't be impartial about their team: you love them or hate them. One Boston sportswriter went so far as to liken this sentiment to the words of Christ who said, "...for whoever is not against you is for you." Jesus' message was about a false prophet, one who claimed to exorcise demons (Luke 9:50). Needless to say, his words aren't about fan loyalty.

I've heard sports fans accuse the Yankees and Notre Dame of a similar fate. Personally, I find this assumption brazen and impudent. Perhaps I don't want my alma mater thrown in the mix, but when it comes to the New England Patriots, I don't stand in either camp. I can't cheer for them, but I certainly have respect for their legacy. I am fascinated by what Bill Belichick has done, but I'm not dreaming for a selfie with him or an interview for the purpose of this blog (though that would be great). I can't deny that Tom Brady may be the best athlete to hail from the Bay Area and I am intrigued by The TB12 Method, but I don't read or write about him (probably) often (enough).

I'm sure New England fans find themselves defending their greatness and the GOAT given some colored history and reasons to fuel the fire of non-impartiality, I'm just indifferent. Meh.
Given that Wentz played at North Dakota State U, I'm wondering how this is possible....
Forced Choice
All that being said, when the game clock starts, I have never been able to watch a championship game and NOT pick a team. Dodgers vs Astros, Sergio Garcia vs. Justin Rose, Dubs vs. Cavs (easy!) and as Super Bowl LII revealed: Eagles vs. Patriots. As written about in A Sports and Spirituality Icon: The Eagle, I had no dog in the fight. When forced to choose, I wanted the Eagles to win. I prefer the NFC over the AFC (Niners!) and who doesn't want to see an upset? I know and love a few Eagles fans, but not enough that I felt a need to go out of my way to cheer or promote the Birds.

However, seeing this team brought joy, happiness, and amazement. As a loyal Giants fan, I remember when my team finally got their first World Series crown. These championship series—as over the top and gratuitous as they are—don't exist for nothing. I rode an emotional high for days, weeks and honestly a full year at a time. The other rings have been super special, but to deny that the first one isn't the sweetest of victories is just not true. 

Through all of it, I realized that I saw this win, the post-game celebration, the fan reactions, the parade, the commentary, and even the takeaways from the perspective of someone who "gets it." I have felt that hunger and tasted that joy. I am not overstating matters when I say the Eagles' victory made me even more grateful for the championships I have known in my lifetime. In our head and in our heart, we know that victory is never a given. I have learned in my life as a sports fan that when it comes your way, hold on to the ride. It's magical. I know Philadelphia will and I also know that Doug Pederson will NEVER pay for another meal or drink anywhere in and around Philly.
A Double Standard
I do love a good Super Bowl party. I always have "Super Bowl squares" in play, I like the healthy and not so healthy snacks, and it's nice to gather with people of all ages on a Sunday afternoon. The party I attended was your typical  Super Bowl gathering: awesome flat screen TV, mixed beverages and but a few true fans of either team in attendance. The ratio of men and women was equal and the number of people who really like football veered toward, maybe 50%? I know the rhythm of these gatherings: the focus on the game won't settle in until late in third/beginning of the fourth quarter. The conversation prior to that time is all over the place. However, this year, the conversation among women, in particular, caught my attention.
  • Doug Pederson is a "silver fox." I think he's hot.
    • Only certain men can look that good in a visor.
  • That player's body is amazing. Totally rock solid and I love how the pants these guys wear showcase them 
  • Don't you think the tight end lives up to the name? He has one...
Two women discussed Tom Brady's hairstyle and its past iterations for at least 3 downs.  The extent of their conversation reminded me of media reports on how inappropriate it was that the American public talked about Hillary Clinton's hairstyle, cut and color during debates and on the campaign trail. Is one worse or different than the other?
I don't really feel the need to defend men, but I guarantee if men were talking about female athletes they way these women were talking about these men, they would be called out. Several women objectified the men on the field in the same way female athletes have been for years. For too many women, those remarks have been hurtful, disrespectful and inappropriate. I'm not convinced these were that much different.

Carson Wentz
The Eagles' *star* quarterback, the player who laid the groundwork on this championship season saw his own season come to an end on December 10, 2017. As Steven Ruiz of USA Today writes The Eagles were 10-2 and their second-year quarterback had just broken the franchise record for touchdown passes in a season. Everything was going right. But then Eagles fans were offered a stern reminder that they can’t have nice things, and Carson Wentz left Philadelphia’s game against the Rams with a knee injury.

His personal fate and the team's fate met a major roadblock. A torn ACL and LCL meant that Eagles would call upon Nick Foles. The questions that loomed large were answered as Foles stepped up, so high that he became the Super Bowl MVP.
After the game, the camera showed Wentz in the locker room, in plain clothes—the ones he wore during the game—sitting alone and crying. A number of players broke down in tears. Relief, exhaustion, pure joy, amazement, gratitude and so much more. However, when I looked at Wentz, my heart swelled. He is such a good person, I know he was crying tears of joy...but the human part of me had to wonder if those same tears weren't tears of disappointment....for not being "the guy"....for what the injury cost him...for not having the opportunity to lead the team to the win. 

Dear Players' Tribune please ask Wentz to share his thoughts on this moment. He is a man of devout faith and integrity. I know he could teach us a lot from this vantage point.

The Best Fan Reaction I've Ever Seen
The Philadelphia Eagles have sold out every home game since 1999. They have the third highest number of season ticket holders in the NFL. Sports Illustrated has deemed their fans to be the most intimidating and obnoxious of all NFL teams. 

Perhaps it's because I live nearly 3000 miles away from the Link but I find all of it highly entertaining. I scrolled and trolled social media for a good hour after both the NFC Championship and Super Bowl wins and laughed out loud time and again. In that time, I encountered what I think is the funniest and most creative fan reaction I've ever seen. Yes, I love what Steve Kerr, my favorite coach (men's sport) tweeted out: Just another Arizona Wildcat QB winning a Super Bowl. Seen in once, seen it a thousand times (Yawn)....Bear Down Nick Foles!!!! but whoever it is that had the foresight and gumption to take his dune buggy up the same steps that Rocky once scaled....Brilliant!
Philly, I know you have not yet even recovered from the victory because you are still celebrating. You might be all year. I also know, to take from "Silver Linings Playbook" there will NEVER be a question of what to wear...


Pat: Hey, my friend Ronnie is having this party on Sunday night and it's like a real hoity-toity thing. And his wife Veronica is a real stickler for... I don't know. My mom got this Gap outfit she wants me to wear, but I want to wear a jersey that my brother Jake got me from the Eagles
Dr. Cliff Patel: Which jersey?
Pat: DeSean Jackson.
Dr. Cliff Patel: DeSean Jackson is the man.
Pat: Well, that settles that.


Photo Credits
Carson Wentz
Coach Pederson
Tom Brady hair
Eagles win

Map

No comments:

Post a Comment