Sunday, February 25, 2018

Coach Jim Harbaugh and the Soul of Youth Sports

Even before he was hired to serve as the head coach of the University of Michigan Wolverines' football team, I held mixed feelings for Jim Harbaugh. A Michigan alum (boo), a practicing Catholic, a man who has been outspoken about the dangers of specialization (thank you!), a true coach and competitor, I have never known quite what to do with him. At his best, Harbaugh demonstrates a deep passion for football and competition. I respect how fiercely loyal his players are to him. Showing up to practice when he was with the 49ers, just hours after an ablation of his heart (which I do not consider a routine procedure) one would never doubt Harbaugh's commitment to coaching. I believe it when he yells "who's got it better than us?! NOBODY!" and yet over time, I have seen how the answer to that question changes. At his worst, Harbaugh's relentless pursuit of the W is polarizing. He had crossed the line of respect toward officials in too many games AND among other coaches (admitting he never wants to shake hands with another coach after a game). Part of me appreciates and values much of what he stands for and the other part of me has been happy to critique and criticize what he has done or failed to do. So, when I saw Coach Harbaugh listed as the keynote speaker at NCEA's Soul of Youth Sports Conference, I was anxious—no, almost nervous, to discover what I would learn....not just about him but about myself. This is what I have gained.

No Khakis
Every single person with whom I told that Harbaugh was the Keynote at the 2018 SOYSC in Kansas City had the same reaction/response/remark: commentary on his khakis. Mr. Khakis....I bet he will wear khakis...that's the coach who wears khakis. On one hand, it's surprising to me that this coach who has a lifetime record of 44-19-1 has been reduced to a pair of pleated, or no longer pleated pants. The other part of me gets it...it's branding, he's human, and those khakis have characterized more than a singular news story!
No, Coach Harbaugh showed up in a handsome navy suit with a Michigan tie (not a surprise). He was leaner than I expected (I think weight fluctuates for a significant number of coaches....in-season weight and off-season lbs!). He was as high energy and present as I expected he would be. All parties are aware that Coach Harbaugh is in a room because, with his excellent posture, he stands tall. He holds a laser focus on whatever is in his sight. Make no mistake about it, the man holds a powerful presence, khakis or not.

I Heart Football
Coach Harbaugh's love for football is infectious. "My goal as a player was to play as long as I can. My goal as a coach is to coach as long as I can....and then die." A
 number of attendees commented on his charisma, which is undeniable, but this quality combined with his sheer love of the game is compelling. He said, "football is the greatest game, ever." It's fair to say he had every single person considering these words as truth. He added, "I've heard too many athletes say I regret not playing football but I've never heard one say I regret playing football." 

Given the state of high school sports today, I wish more athletes would consider his words and his belief in football. At Michigan football will take you to places like South Bend (this Fall!), a bowl game in January and in 2017, to the Vatican. "I wanted my players to experience a new culture, taste new food, hear other languages. My players had the chance to meet Pope Francis. I think it's important to learn about other faith traditions and for many of my players and for me, more about our own." For Harbaugh, football is the vehicle whereby young men compete, feel good about themselves and learn to put others (the team) before themselves. The fuel for all of it? Love.
Faith, Family, Football
Harbaugh recognized and thanked his mentors in the game. Of no surprise, his father— Jack—a former coach and now his next-door neighbor in Ann Arbor came at the top of his list. Next, Harbaugh said his coach at UM, Coach Bo Schembechler drilled just two words into his players' psyches.  The team! The team! The team! was the mantra. Harbaugh confessed that his own immaturity as a college athlete got in the way of fulfilling this charge. He admitted the challenge to understand and embody those words, however, was a noble and worthy pursuit. He strives to help his own players understand the importance of The team! The Team! THE TEAM! today. 

This team, however, is not as important as two other priorities. Before he married his (second) wife Sarah, her father told Jim he must live with his focus on faith, family, and football— in that order. Jim said that list is easy to remember but our actions can make it easy to forget. He said, "when I keep my priorities straight, I know I am living right." Not everyone needs to be a football coach to understand the truth of that matter.

Leadership, Competition, and Fun
I was able to ask Coach Harbaugh a question during a brief Q & A that followed his address. I told him I am from San Francisco and wanted him to know we have missed him, but things are also on the up and up (it's true! Thanks, Coach Shanahan and GM John Lynch). I inquired how he develops leaders and what he does to have fun with them.
Harbaugh responded by stating his looks for leaders when he recruits athletes to Michigan. He said, "with technology today, a coach can see—athletically—all they need to see. However, when he talks to coaches, he wants to know what kind of person they are. Do they have integrity? Describe their work ethic? Do they maintain a coachable attitude? Are they hungry? honest? trustworthy?" These are the qualities Coach Harbaugh is seeking. He broke this down by sharing what he learned from Judge Judy of all people. "You know when you buy a basket of blueberries and there's that one blueberry that is moldy, right? Well, what happens if you keep that blueberry in the basket? The other ones begin to mold as well. You have to remove that blueberry or in this instance, don't buy the basket with the moldy blueberry to start. Leadership is no different"

Though honest, I found his response unsatisfactory. I think there is a lot that a football team, even on the D1 collegiate level do to form leaders. Young men who are 18, 19, 20 and 21+ years of age are not fully formed. Coaches, graduate assistants, and captains can and ought to play an important part in their formation. Feel free to disagree, but I left with a deeper appreciation for Brian Kelly after hearing Coach Harbaugh in this regard. I truly DO believe that BK and his staff take the formation of Notre Dame football players very seriously. I think they do much more than recruit leaders. The Irish have failed to become the leaders, alums like myself expect from those representing Our Lady's University; they have been held accountable. Others do so much to make us proud. And, when I heard Brian Kelly speak a few years ago, I heard him mention these players by name. This is something Coach Harbaugh did not do.


Coach Harbaugh did not answer my question on how he has fun with his players. I'm not sure I needed him to, for I think I know the answer. He has fun in competition. No one loves the thrill and challenge of competition more than he does. And that fact remains a bone of contention for all of us who watch him work. The word competition means "to strive together." A good competitor will raise the level of play for all those involved. Competition has come to mean winning...or victory...sometimes at all costs. I'm not convinced Harbaugh doesn't see competition the way I do. I wish we had more time to talk.
The Power of Friendship
Coach Harbaugh came to Lenexa Kansas to speak to 200 coaches and athletic directors at the request of a friend. These two men became friends through the context of football, but I came to understand the nature of their friendship is rooted in so much more.


One of the most life-changing experiences for Coach Harbaugh has been his missionary efforts. Again, he traveled to this rural village of Piura, Peru at the invitation of a friend. Friendship for Harbaugh is a two-way street. Fortunately, we have learned of the mutual benefits and gains from those parties.

Coach Jim Harbaugh began his keynote address with an invitation for us to consider how athletics can and do serve as the cornerstone/foundation of building community. True Christian community is never inclusive of people who "think like me or act as I do." No, in Harbaugh, I came to see a man who has committed to building community—albeit it differently at times—in his own unique way...with passion, with commitment, with friends and family through football, with or without the khakis. Looking forward to seeing you again on Saturday, September 1 at Notre Dame stadium.

Photo Credits
Brothers Harbaugh
Faith and Football

Khakis
Rivalry
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SOYSC2018&src=typdSOYSC Tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment