Monday, March 12, 2018

Soul of Youth Sports Wrap: Thank You KC!

On February 21-23, I traveled to the middle of America to join nearly 200 coaches, athletic directors and CYO program coordinators for the NCEA's Soul of Youth Sports Conference. Anyone who heard where it was being held, met me with the same response ...or rather, song. Fats Domino sang it best:
I'm going to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come.
I'm going to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come.
They got some crazy lil' women there.
And I'm gonna get me one.
Can't say I met any "crazy lil' women" but let me share what I did find: there is a vibrant and emerging ministry alive and moving in the Catholic church—and its found in, through and as part of our athletic programs. Here are but a few recollections.
Kansas City, Kansas
Locals make this distinction with ease, though I'm not sure the song does...
I ended up in the place from whence Dorothy and Toto came—or well, Lenexa to be exact. The KC on the west side of the Missouri River resides in the Diocese of Kansas City, KS which is separate from the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph (MO). Archbishop Joseph Fred Naumann, who served as the celebrant of our opening liturgy kickstarted the conference with his own insights into Sports and Spirituality before, during and after the homily.

Communion of Saints He told us about his father—a baseball player in the St. Louis Cardinals farm system. He had the honor and privilege of catching for one of the game's all-time greatest, Stan Musial (who started out as a pitcher!). He said, "I never met my father. He died before I was born." My eyes teared up thinking about his mother as a pregnant widow. I imagined what she endured and yet what she was able to give. "My mother made sure my brother and I knew and loved the game of baseball. It was a way for us to know and have a relationship with our father," he said. Again and again, I believe in the Communion of Saints.
The Better Player Before the benediction at the opening banquet, the loquacious Archbishop sought to teach us once again. Knowing that we would be celebrating sports as a school for human virtue, he told us the great Mickey Mantle once admitted: "I had a better arm, I was a better hitter and I was faster than Stan Musial, but he was a better player because he was a better man." 

In spite of his tremendous personal shortcoming, Mantle is still beloved by sports fans everywhere. Reading his humble insight on another Hall of Fame legend, it's easy to see why. What that we could teach all the young people we serve to be great people? They'll be better athletes for it. 
Arrowhead Stadium!
I'm more of an NFC football fan, but the opportunity to visit one of the founding AFC teams might have been the crown jewel in this experience. The son of the original owner, Lamar Hunt, Jr. offered our group private tours of the stadium, the locker room, the press box and his own family suite (replete with artwork chosen by his late father, football artifacts and a space for their family and guests to stay--that's right, there are six bedrooms on site). 

Though I've lived in some frigid locales, my California roots are just too strong. I reluctantly walked out into the 29-degree night air to stand on the field of natural grass (I came to learn all 8 teams in the AFC West play on it!). I looked up and around me, inside a stadium that has remained largely the same since it was built nearly 50 years ago! I thought of the history, the loyalty, the passion of the people who have filled those seats. I could almost see players of the past running routes and scoring TDs. I forgot about both the time and the temperature. And, when KC fans say they are the loudest in the game, I believe them. We were told to yell "Chiefs," the natural acoustics of the venue echoed our cry loud and clear. They had me at "Chiefs..."


Our host, Lamar Hunt, Jr. a convert to Catholicism, gives generously to Catholic schools and causes. Though his life has not been without controversy, the man we met aims to serve others through hospitality and more. His biography says:
He is a member of the board of the Hunt Family Foundation and also serves on the Advisory Board of the Catholic Radio Network, a religious broadcasting group operating radio stations in the greater Kansas City, Wichita, and Denver markets. He has served on the Case Review Task Force appointed by Archbishop Joseph Naumann, which formulated recommendations for the future growth of the Catholic Archdiocese of Kansas City, Kansas.
I was humbled when he thanked US for our service. "The athletes you are forming can only make us better." When he said us, he may have been referring to the Chiefs, but I think he meant the Catholic Church. Thank you, Lamar!!


Two very enthusiastic football coaches
What I Enjoyed Learning the Most
A conference like Soul of Youth Sports suits me as it provides opportunities to learn not only through the shared experiences—the trip to Arrowhead, keynote speaker, daily mass, and table fellowship but as you might expect the sessions, themselves. My favorite takeaway from the entire conference was what the head football coach and Dean of Students from Father Tolton High School in Columbia, MO shared with us. In the eight years, the school has been open, 14 students have been baptized and welcomed into the Church. Every one of those new Catholics has been a student-athlete. I would like to believe their experience of Sports and Spirituality has played a critical role in the formation of their faith. I pray it will continue too, as well.

Coach Jim Harbaugh
I could hardly believe my eyes when I read that NCEA secured the University of Michigan's own Coach Harbaugh as the keynote speaker. A high profile name, he is both polarizing and popular, beloved and bewildering. I was both excited to hear him speak and hesitant. I left with equal parts respect and resentment (ok, that's a little strong...but I like the alliteration). I'm still not 100% sold, but I like that I am not. Leaders should challenge us to consider what we value, why we do what we do and how we do it. Harbaugh did all of that and so much more. Here's the full story. Thank you, Coach!

#Grateful
I was able to present "Implementing the Playbook" with my friend Danielle Slaton. I love teaching others how to apply the content of my book "Pray and Practice with Purpose: A Playbook for the Spiritual Development of Athletes" but enjoyed it that much more given the classroom—the Soul of Youth Sports Conference and the opportunity to do so with a friend, colleague and all around incredibly inspiring person.

Congratulations to the NCEA staff who made this time together happen. I know none of this was possible without your commitment to this ministry, your vision for what can be in Sports and Spirituality and in particular to the leadership of Pam Bernards. Can't wait for the next one!

Photo Credits
Banner for Conference
All other photos via Twitter from #SOYSC2018

No comments:

Post a Comment