Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Back to School Made Easier: Thank God for the US Open

Thank God for the US Open. The final and my favorite of the four majors in professional tennis takes place in Queens, NY at the United States Tennis Center im late August, early September. I come home from work so tired that the only thing I can do is lie on my couch, ice my back and not move. I could easily complain but instead, I get to watch live tennis. And what a treat that is: the matches go so late in New York, that even after Back to School Night, an exhilarating match awaits. 
I once thought part of what I loved about watching the Open is seeing someone else work really hard and battle it out, especially because I can't. But, that's not even a half truth. Several times this year, as in years past, matches have gotten hot—really hot...and intense...and suddenly the game demands things of me I have too little energy to give, but I always do. I yell. I hit the table. I whistle and cat call. I text anyone who can and will listen and respond. I clap and tonight when Juan del Potro was invited to address the crowd in Spanish, his native tongue, I even teared up.  That's the Open (and Tom Rinaldi. So good).

I have likened the beginning of the school year to getting a plane off the ground. A considerable amount of preparation is necessary to leave the gate on time. All precautionary safety measures must be taken so that the crew can close the doors as we are ready for departure. Once the wheels have been lifted, the plane must climb rapidly and the goal is to reach cruising altitude within a set amount of time. From there, the crew can settle in,. Those in charge are on auto-pilot and know what to overlook and control until it's time to descend the plane for landing.
Honestly, teaching is no different. My classes require similar preparation.Every day I feel as though I am reviewing some form of a plan to get the class up and running: syllabus, ground rules, homework policy, participation guide and more. With each passing day, my students grow more comfortable and familiar with the cabin pressure. This plane will begin its descent for landing in May. Layover in December!

When I learned how much energy it takes to get a plane off the ground, I almost felt relieved. I say this because it used to bother me how tired I was in late August, early September. Sure, my plane is a 747; I also coach a fall sport. I haven't had to make cuts in a few years and that task is always challenging. I only finalized my roster today. But I figured after these many years in teaching, the plane had to be lighter and the burden lessened. The flight path ought to be much more clear. Why the need for the same amount of fuel? Wrong question. Errant approach.  
My love for the US Open has helped me to realize how much I value the physical demands of teaching and coaching. I am heartened by the fact that standing, instructing, leading and guiding wears me out. No, I don't use a towel to dry off the sweat but I do have time to sit during a changeover. Yes, I marvel at the players who take the match into the fifth set or win the tie breaker. I look at them and hope I dig as deep and remain calm. I want to give my best when challenges arise and figure a way to excel.   

In sports we see what is required of the body; in education, we know what is expected of the mind. Neither is complete without the integration of it all. Thanks to organizers of the US Open, the USTA, for hosting a Rock n Roll Tourney. And all the gratitude in the world to the athletes themselves who make me love, not dread, Back to School. I can't wait to talk to kids tomorrow about the four US women in the final and the del Potro vs. Federer match. You are great teachers!

Photo Credits
Fed US Open 2017
Four US Women

del Potro

No comments:

Post a Comment